Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spring Break 2011

Long overdue MEGAPOST!!!
Special thanks to Lauren for reminding me I hadn't posted in a bagillion years :)

What's the first thing you think of when you imagine spring break in college?  My image is pretty 1990's: those big MTV Miami/Cobo stages surrounded by crystal blue pools with girls in bikinis dancing around. Who's performing? Nelly or the Baha Men, of course!

Because I live in such a party central location already, I did not feel the need to spend my spring break taking tequila shots in Cancun or doing keg stands at Lake Havasu (although don't get me wrong, I'm sure those are just as fun, just not quite my style). Instead, I was welcomed home by my two loving parents, adorable pup, and a surprise...

flowers!!!

Sunflowers in particular are my favorite kind of flower (a close second are light pink tulips, in case you were wondering).

I was also welcomed home with a few birthday presents! 
1. Canon 60D camera from Bear <3
2. iPhone follwed by my new Kate Spade case from Dad

3. Emus from Mom (these guys fold over and look really cute!)

Successful birthday? YUP.

After just a few days at home, we were off to the condo in Santa Cruz for a relaxing week!

My parents kept asking me where I wanted to go for dinner but honestly, nothing sounds more delicious to a college kid than a home cooked meal. Can a get an AMEN?!

Our first night I cut of some fruit (Emily, you know that is my calling in life... cutting fruit), paired it with some vanilla Greek Yogurt, and set it out as an appetizer along with savory thins and eggplant hummus.  Trader Joe's, you never seize to let me down.  


Pretty sure nothing makes me feel more at home than watching/helping my momma cook.

What's for dinner? 

Mac 'n Cheese made with whole grain pasta, a ridiculous amount of cheese, and apple smoked bacon

I made these yummy, yet very simple, green beens (grilled with EVOO, italian seasoning, and minced garlic)

Although the mac 'n cheese looked amazeballs, I chose not to eat it because I have reinstated my veganness.  With all the captivating information I've been learning in both my philosophy and environmental studies classes, I feel that this is the right decision for me.  I honestly believe that our mass demand and consumption of animal products is not only harming our society, but our planet. Oprah also recommended a new book called The Veganist that I just began reading. I am also still a huge fan of Oprah's first recommendation, The Kind Diet, by Alicia Silverstone. 


In order to veganify this dinner, I mixed the pasta with a grilled Tofurkey Italian Sausage and topped it with some EVOO. The sausage really had a kick and it definitely hit the spot! 


Because my parents wake up at the crack of dawn, they go to sleep unbelievably early.  Our "dinner" was eaten at 4pm (which isn't uncommon in the Taylor household).  By 6, we headed downtown to wander and grab dessert. We settled on froyo which I know isn't vegan, but unlike last time, I am now becoming a Veganist

What's that, you may ask? Kathy Freston, the author of The Veganist explains it best:
The "-ist" also refers to "one who studies." A veganist is one who looks closely at all the implications of his or her food choices--- to his or her own body, to the animals and the land it takes to raise them and the drugs introduced to keep herds alive, an so on, and then decides how to act."
 I don't think I'm going to make it a habit to eat dairy regularly, but I only live once and if I decide that my desire for a cup of froyo outweighs the impact it has on the planet, I'm going to eat that froyo!

The next morning, I woke up and had a delicious vegan mango berry bran muffin from none other than Trader Joe's. Yummmm! Then we headed out to the beach to walk Kobe.





Sunset that night

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even see this post before!!!! but i LOVE it! ahhhh i wanna go to santa cruz, with your parents and all

    ReplyDelete